Electrical and Appliance Fire Safety

A message from Ogden City Fire Department

Spring is around the corner, but we are still in cold weather conditions, and we need to remain vigilant when it comes to electrical and appliance safety.

Following the recommendations below can help us avoid fires and personal injury. Over half of all home electrical fires involve lighting equipment or home electrical wiring.

  • Plug only one heat-producing appliance (such as a coffee maker, space heater, or microwave) directly into a wall outlet at a time.
  • Extension cords should only be used temporarily. Have an electrician install additional wall outlets where you need them.
  • Never use an extension cord with a heat-producing appliance.
  • Don’t overload extension cords or wall outlets.
  • Check your electrical cords. If they are cracked or damaged, replace them. Don’t try to repair them.
  • Use light bulbs that match the recommended wattage on the lamp or fixture.
  • Electrical work should only be done by a qualified electrician.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.